Dental implants in Shelburne have become popular for many reasons. An excellent option for replacing a lost tooth or even several teeth, they serve as an alternative to bridges and dentures. According to the Canadian Dental Association, dental implants will look and feel very much like your natural teeth.
Our dentist at Shelburne Village Dental, Dr. Faisal Waseem, uses dental implants that are surgical-grade root devices. He anchors the implant into the bone beneath your gums, and then mounts a crown to the post above your gum line to create a great looking smile. With proper care and good oral hygiene, these implants are designed to last a lifetime.
Keys to Maintaining Dental Implants in Shelburne
Dr. Waseem uses the latest dental implant technology for our patients, which seldom results in rejection, and achieves an incredibly low functionality failure. Failure may sometimes occur in cases where patients do not practice regular oral hygiene habits, or in some instances where the implant is located at the back of your jaw where it might be exposed to more rigorous chewing. The implant may not set properly due to certain pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes, or it may become loose due to some medications, osteoporosis, and certain forms of cancer affecting the jaw and mouth.
As you age, you may also experience some issues in the bone of your jaw which could affect the stability of the dental implant. To maximise the life expectancy of your dental implant, we recommend:
- Limit chewing hard or crunchy items using the tooth that has the dental implant. Reduce your sugary food intake.
- Immediately remove any food debris that becomes lodged between your teeth.
- Brush and floss regularly, and use an interdental stimulator to minimize the chance of bacteria, plaque build-up, and gum disease in the area surrounding the dental implant.
- Don’t smoke, and limit heavy alcohol consumption.
- Beware of teeth grinding, especially at night. If you do grind your teeth, ask us whether an oral appliance can help protect your teeth.
- Maintain your overall health.
- Visit our dental office in Shelburne at least twice yearly so we can ensure that your dental implant is performing as expected. Keep us informed of any type of serious medical conditions, so we can advise you on how they may affect your oral health.
With this level of care, your dental implant should very well last a lifetime, depending on your age and overall health. In some cases, though, the visible crown structure may need to be replaced because of regular wear and tear, but we usually do not have to replace the implant.
Before performing a dental implant, Dr. Waseem will obtain a complete medical history and perform a thorough dental examination to determine whether you are a good candidate for the procedure. It is imperative that you have an adequate jaw bone structure already in place, or we may need to look at an alternative solution for your individual situation.
Missing or damaged teeth can diminish your self-confidence, and could also affect your overall health. Dr. Waseem is an experienced professional dental clinician who knows how to expertly place top-quality dental implants that can last for decades.
Dr. Faisal Waseem and the caring team at Shelburne Village Dental provide high-quality, compassionate, and up-to-date general, family and cosmetic dentistry services. To learn more about dental implants or call to set an appointment and begin your journey to quality dental care.